Skip to content

Fat Salmon

July 20, 2010

Once every month or two, I get together with three of the most magnificent women I know for what has been dubbed, “BYO Girls’ Night.”  The establishment chosen for last night’s rendezvous was Fat Salmon.  Initially, I wasn’t thrilled based on the fact that so many of the menu items included fake crabmeat (AKA, krab).  I automatically assumed that the overall quality would be lacking because of this faux pas.  By the time we finished our meal, however, I was singing a different tune.

We started with a bowl of edamame, followed by miso soup for me and seaweed salad for my two compatriots (our fourth lady was unfortunately incapacitated by a work meeting in north Jersey).  I don’t care for tofu so I just ate the broth of my soup, which was full of flavor.  The lightly-dressed seaweed salad had a nice crunch.

Our main course consisted of four rolls and a double order of yellow tail sashimi.  The sashimi was fresh and the pieces were gigantic.  The rolls were all imaginative and full of ingredients.  Favorites included the spicy tuna sandwich, stuffed with spicy tuna, the fancy tuna sushi, tuna-wrapped rice topped with spicy tuna and tobiko, and the m&m, a marinated beef and cucumber roll topped with, yes, spicy chopped krab.

The cost for our meal was shockingly low, and our delightful server, Jessica, encouraged us to take our time with finishing up our vino, which is exactly what we did.

Return visit?

This skeptic is now a believer.  I will be back… with fingers crossed that the krab is replaced with crab in the meantime.

Fat Salmon
719 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA  19102
fatsalmonsushi.com

About these ads
8 Comments leave one →
  1. July 20, 2010 3:49 pm

I haven’t been to Fat Salmon yet but their old incarnation, Shinju @ 10th & Locust, was one of the best sushi spots in Philly. I’m glad to hear the new location is keeping the same standards of quality.

2. July 23, 2010 4:25 pm

Definitely loved Shinju, incredible quality for the price. Good to hear that is still the case.

But never heard of avoiding tofu… Understand not loving it, but what’s the harm? It’s innocuous. ;P

• July 23, 2010 4:27 pm

Danya, I can’t explain it. I just… don’t like it. The texture kills me. I even tried a little square from my soup that night in particular, just to see. No dice.

• blake permalink
        July 27, 2010 12:07 pm

miso soup tofu i can understand not liking – the texture is kinda soft & slimy. we need to get you some well prepared bean curd, stat!

3. September 23, 2010 10:09 pm

MMM the snapper sashimi was incredible. The yellow tail was as good as shiroi. Everything was so tasty and those Japanese beers go down so easy. I too thought all the crab stick dishes were odd!

The decibel level though is nearly enough to make you go postal. Every surface seems to amplify and bounce sound. A herd of nanny goats, in the restaurant on our visit, made the place feel more like a mall joint than a dining room.

• September 24, 2010 11:07 am

I was there on a weeknight so it wasn’t too loud. I’ll keep that in mind though, should I end up craving sushi on a weekend.

• September 24, 2010 12:17 pm

Tuesday night was goat night. Bring ear protection for weekend dining.

Trackbacks